Talkinator – Chat widget for WordPress.com

I’ll begin by reminding everyone that this website is generally about my own work. However there is that “and other cool stuff” thingy, right below the Hillel Stoler title, so from time to time I reserve the right to write about cool (or just useful) stuff other people are doing :)

Talkinator is an anonymous chat widget that will work on wordpress.com blogs, thus eliminating the meebo.com monopoly. It was made by the same people who created Mailinator – a single serving mailbox service. The idea behind Talkinator is that people could chat on your blog or website without the need to create a user or download any software.

You can set up a unique chat room of you choice, or (to my understanding) use an existing chat room – in which case people visiting your blog will be able to chat with people on other websites where this room is also available. I’ve created a chat room called “WORDPRESS COM”, you can add it to your blog by copying the following code:

<iframe width="250" height="350" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src='http://t8ra.info/$r?s=0&amp;t=h&amp;w=250&amp;h=350&amp;c=8b0000&amp;b=Wordpress%20Com'></iframe>

Talkinator looks pretty much low-tech (but not in a good way), and lacks on functionality. However, it is very easy to implement, and the code survives the wordpress.com filters. Another downside is the minimum widget size (which is 250px). This limitation will make it harder to put this widget on your wordpress.com blog’s sidebar (which is probably thinner than that). Also, the script generator could be improved (to say the least) but do check it out!

TIP: When you use this chat, a random username is automatically generated for you. You can change your name by writing “/nick NEWNAME” where NEWNAME is of course a name of your choice.

PERMALINK / SHORTLINK

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

About these ads

35 Responses to “Talkinator – Chat widget for WordPress.com”

1. 4 9217918198a Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 19:15

can you help me sir?i want some help really,actually i want to install anonymous chat room in my website,so what is the word press widget which can help me?actually i want to create a website like omegle.com,please help me

2. 5 3arn0wl Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 16:34

Thanks for highlighting this!

Which widget do I need to put the into for WordPress.com? I tried it with the text widget, and it sort-of worked, but it opened a new page…

• 6 Hillel Stoler Monday, April 11, 2011 at 03:41

Sorry my friend, this post is two years old and it’s outdated.
      I don’t think you can still embed the Talkinator widget in WP.com via iframe.

• 7 3arn0wl Monday, April 11, 2011 at 10:01

Thanks for getting back to me! Hardly a surprise that I’m at least 2 years behind! lol It is a pity that WordPress feels it has to strip the code for this widget though – it was perfect for what I needed! :(

3. 9 Thekoolman3 Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 02:44

It isn’t working on my blog :-/

4. 10 peretas1984 admin 1 Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 18:38

can you help me in find the best shoutBox or ChatBox for free wordpress ?? because i cant find it, and your thread is doesn’t work for my wordpress…any idea ??

5. 11 Anonymous Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 15:06

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to try it.

6. 12 Hillel Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 03:16

Talkinator currently doesn’t work for me as well, but it did back in 2008, when this was posted…

7. 13 vanillagems Friday, July 23, 2010 at 10:31

It doesn’t work on my WordPress :(

8. 14 rangga19 Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 07:54

dont work on my wordpress.com
    don’t support iframe.. T_T

9. 15 DikoNuisance Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 06:02

I’m still looking for the best chat widget for my wordpress blog, but couldn’t find which best.

Thx for posting this alternative :)

10. 17 barifbrave Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 02:18

I was disappointed. after I try on does not work as well as you said bkkmtki.co.cc

11. 18 Barbara Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 05:36

So, after long trying i works and fits in the sidebar. Is it normal, that the messages dissappear, when i close the browser?

12. 19 Barbara Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 04:49

Hmmm, when i create a uneditet box, it works, but when i set width and color, the code dont works….

13. 21 robbymilo Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 03:16

Thanks the chat box is workin. but when i’m try to type a message. why my nick name become ‘malekitten’???

14. 23 facebook application london Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 10:22

i am very excited! i own a wordpress blog and was looking for chatting service to add in my blog. thanks

15. 24 raiderhost Friday, April 17, 2009 at 15:43

i thinkz wordpress.com not support tag iframe

but i want try it :D

16. 25 vintage Sunday, March 15, 2009 at 22:57

it didn`t work :( Left the code only

17. 26 Joycey Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 15:19

how do i put this application on my wordpress? or could i only put it in a post

18. 27 Yok10 Friday, January 2, 2009 at 17:06

Woww. Excellent. Thanks.

19. 28 ABnCParties Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 17:09

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to try it.

20. 29 FacebookAppCreation Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 14:53

There is a definite need to build a robust Live Chat Application which probably can compete with Meebo.
    Talkinator looks good and hope they may add few more features then probably it can be used.

1. 1 How to use Bleetbox to add a chatbox in a wordpress.com blog « Netty Gritty Trackback on Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 09:48
  2. 2 4 Chatboxes for wordpress.com blogs « onecoolsitebloggingtips.com Trackback on Monday, March 8, 2010 at 01:00
  3. 3 Shoutbox di WordPress? Masih mimpi… « semakin badung, semakin santri Trackback on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 04:54
  4. 4 LiveChat บน wordpress.com « Kajarp no Blog Trackback on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 19:19
  5. 5 test « Divining the News (DTN) Trackback on Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 01:00